Sunday, July 11, 2010

Christchurch fun!

So I'm already struggling with writing in this as often as I should haha but I'll definitely try to work on it.

In the past week I've done a lot of walking around the uni and downtown Christchurch which has been fun, and I've done plenty of drinking which is a big part of their culture here. The cop who talked to us at orientation (the one cop for our entire university...) kept talking about how new zealanders are champion drinkers so I'll have to learn to keep up, although I don't think I'll have too much of a problem.

The University seems really nice so far, and aside from the cold and sometimes rainy weather, it's pretty here and I like it =) I'll have to take some pictures of campus to post on here once I decide to just walk around more with my camera.

I really like downtown Christchurch. It's only like a 10 minute bus ride away and there are tons of little shops, bars, restaurants and all those kinds of things. There's this really cool place called SOL square that has a bunch of little bars and stuff and you can just go inside and order a drink and then bring it outside and sit in the couches that are around and there are little fire places and space heaters and it's really cool. I'm a huge fan.

I didn't really do too much during the week other than explore and go shopping to get stuff to get all settled in like a hair dryer and alarm clock and things like that, but this weekend was awesome. Let's start with Friday night...

Friday night started after a fairly boring day of doing basically nothing other than grocery shopping and some walking around. Me and a bunch of people drank at my flat because my flat is basically just the place to be. I'm right on the ground floor so people are constantly coming by and just knocking on my window or coming in through the sliding door - it's a pretty sweet deal. Anyways, we were all drinking here, which is always a good time. My roommate decided to clean the vacuum hose and make a beer bong out of it, so that was pretty hilarious haha. After a while of hanging out at my flat, a bunch of us decided to go to the supermarket to get food for breakfast in the morning. This was a great bonding experience because after stopping at McDonald's on the way back, our car ran out of gas and we had to push it for like 15-20 minutes to a gas station and had to make it through a couple traffic circles along the way... it was exhausting but overall a great time.

Saturday we woke up and all had breakfast together - Chelsea and Sarah made some awesome coconut french toast. Then we went to the gondola and for a hike around there. It was absolutely amazing. It was so pretty and I took tons of pictures because even though I probably already had like 8 shots of the same view, it was too pretty not to take more pictures of everything. The hike was probably about an hour and a half to 2 hours long, and was so much fun. I absolutely love the outdoors and I love how gorgeous it is here. I can't wait to just hike everywhere and see more beautiful scenery everywhere I look.

After we finished our hike around the crater rim walkway, we sat down and had a little picnic with whatever food we had packed and then went inside and got a beer to drink while we watched the sunset. It was super pretty and the beer added a nice touch.
Then we went out into town and got dinner and went to the bar to watch the rugby game between the All Blacks and South Africa which was AWESOME. I'm like all of a sudden so into rugby. I guess being immersed in a rugby culture and actually watching a rubgy game and seeing how intense and awesome it is makes me instantly a huge fan of rugby and the All Blacks which is the Maori team from NZ. I bought a ticket with a bunch of my friends to the All Blacks vs Australia game in Christchurch in August. I'm sooooo excited for it =)

On Sunday I woke up and kinda expected to just have a chill day and get ready for school and such but then Clay and Chelsea knocked on my window and said they were going surfing so I obviously went along. It was a group of 8 of us and we got a 2 hour surf lesson and it was really fun even though it was pretty cold, but not terrible in our sweet wet suits. I was able to get up and actually surf on a few waves which was pretty sweet. The waves were pretty strong and definitely knocked me down a lot though. And who knew surfing was so exhausting. I'm pretty sore today...

Today was the first day of class, and I was pretty afraid I was gonna be late to it because I woke up at 6 to go to the bar and watch the world cup final at 6:30. It was such a good game and totally worth it to go to the bar and watch it, and luckily it finished in time for my to get to class.

I really liked my class today, and I'm really excited about it. It seems like it's gonna be about really cool topics and I'm really gonna enjoy it. And i found out that my only 2 classes (on just Monday and Tuesday) don't have normal finals so I'll be finished with the semester completely by October 15th which is insane...It's gonna be an awesome semester...

No comments:

Post a Comment